What will my optometrist check?
Your optometrist will check the health of your eyes. That includes:
- Your vision – they’ll decide if any correction is needed.
- Any signs of cataracts, glaucoma and other eye conditions – thanks to our advanced screening tests, OCT and Optomap, which you can add for extra peace of mind.
- Other health issues, like diabetes, high blood pressure and vascular disease – your eyes can be the window to your body’s health.
How often should I have my eyes examined?
It is important that everyone should have an eye examination every 2 years but if you have diabetes or you are over 40 and have a history of glaucoma in your family we recommend more regular check-ups. We recommend that children have their eyes tested every year.
NHS sight tests at Gardiner Opticians
Some people are entitled to a sight test for free through the NHS. We offer free NHS sight tests to:
- Children under 16
- Teenagers under 19, in full-time education
- Anyone over 60
- Anyone with a history of certain health conditions
Please see the NHS website for the full list of everyone who may qualify for an NHS sight test.